Clorox Healthcare, in partnership with Ultraviolet Devices, announced the introduction of the Clorox Healthcare Optimum-UV Enlight System at the Association for the Healthcare Environment EXCHANGE 2015 annual conference. The Optimum-UV Enlight System kills a total of 31 pathogens and combines powerful UV technology with advanced data collection and reporting capabilities, clinically proven efficacy and affordability to enable facility-wide adoption.
“We know that environmental services and infection control professionals are looking for more efficient and easy-to-use ways to implement UV devices and track infection rates across their facilities, which can be a time-intensive process,” said Dr. Katherine Velez, scientist, Clorox Healthcare.
“The Optimum-UV Enlight System’s smart data capabilities help do the heavy lifting to improve infection control processes and minimize workflow challenges so that UV can be seamlessly integrated into larger environmental infection control practices.”
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s healthcare-associated infection prevalence survey found that on any given day, about one in 25 hospital patients has at least one HAI. As HAIs and antibiotic-resistant organisms continue to plague U.S. healthcare facilities, it is important to implement a comprehensive infection control plan that bundles manual surface disinfection with highly effective, tested and trusted UV technology. The Optimum-UV Enlight System kills 31 pathogens in five minutes at a distance of eight feet and also keeps accurate reports of infection rates and outbreaks to enhance patient safety efforts.
Increasingly, healthcare facilities are required to accurately report their infection rates to receive Medicare and Medicaid reimbursements. To help facilities comply with stringent reporting requirements, the new Optimum-UV Enlight System tracks where, when and how the system is working, providing the smart data collection, efficacy and assurance that facilities can trust.
The Clorox Healthcare Optimum-UV Enlight System’s advanced features include:
- Proven Efficacy: The Optimum-UV Enlight System kills 31 total pathogens in five minutes at a distance of eight feet, including a 4-log reduction of Clostridium difficile spores and a greater than 5-log reduction of more than 20 pathogens such as methicillin- resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA), vancomycin-resistant Enterococci (VRE) and carbapenem-resistantEnterobacteriaceae (CRE).(2)
- Smart Data Reporting: The system tracks device usage across rooms, locations, and operators, and provides automated reporting that is accessible in real time. The system also provides diagnostic data with automated alerts to inform users about maintenance needs and helps to identify areas for targeted staff training.
- Enhanced User Interface: The enhanced interface features more data storage and a large, easy-to-use color touchscreen that enables users to manage rooms, locations and operators for reporting analytics.
- Mobile Device App: New iOS and Android apps allow users to remotely check on UV cycle status as well as start or stop the device. The app uses Bluetooth technology to automatically transfer usage data to the app, which is uploaded via a cellular/Wi-Fi connection for cloud-based reporting.
- Cycle Completion Assurance Tools: Transporting and storing the Optimum-UV Enlight™ System is easier with the hard shell case accessory which protects the bulbs and detaches into halves that can be used as free-standing door warning signs. Other tools include the Dose Verify™ cards which ensure that the appropriate UV-C dose has been received on a target surface.
Comprehensive Approach to Treating Environmental Surfaces
Only 50 percent of typical hospital environmental surfaces are effectively disinfected, which is why a comprehensive approach to treating surfaces to stop the transmission of dangerous pathogens is so important. The Optimum-UV Enlight System is designed to supplement manual disinfection efforts with U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) registered disinfectants such as:
- Clorox Healthcare Bleach Germicidal Products: Kill a wide variety of bacteria and viruses, including MRSA and Norovirus, in 30 seconds to one minute, and C. difficile spores in as fast as three minutes.
- Clorox Healthcare Hydrogen Peroxide Products: Hard- and soft-surface solutions, proven to kill 42 microorganisms, including 13 antibiotic-resistant organisms, in as little as 30 seconds.
Combining manual surface disinfection with UV technology ensures thorough coverage, especially on areas that may be missed during manual cleaning. However, a comprehensive approach also hinges upon having a well-trained and educated environmental services staff to implement best practices.