CHICAGO, March 15, 2011 /PRNewswire/ — Developed by Neue
Magnetodyn and represented by ICAP Ocean Tomo, this
technology discloses an advanced hip cap for electromagnetic tissue
stimulation. The assets in this portfolio will be auctioned off at
Tomo’s Spring 2011 Live IP Auction on March 31, 2011 in New
Key Characteristics & Benefits
This patent discloses the following:
- An advanced hip implant that facilitates fast tissue growth
using electrical stimulation. This mitigates the risk of
degeneration and necrosis.
- The free end of the shaft of a standard hip cap encapsulates a
pick-up coil, electrically coupled with the inner wall of the
shaft, collectively forming an electrode.
- A low frequency alternating current is induced in the pick-up
coil to stimulate tissue growth and maintain the vitality of the
bone covered by the cap.
- By promoting angiogenesis and intensive revascularization of
the femur neck, electromagnetic osteosti repeated stimulation “on
demand” is possible over the lifetime of the implantmulation which
restores the vitality of existing bone stock, and prolongs the life
of the implant.
- Repeated stimulation “on demand” is possible over the lifetime
of the implant.
- In the case of hip resurfacing, the active device stimulates
the bone under the cap and extends the effective life of the
prosthesis before replacement needs to be considered.
- This device actively addresses a potential problem with hip
resurfacing – the inherent risk of necrosis of the head of
- Several CE certified products using this Magnetodyn technology
are in clinical use.