MSC Software announced a new release of MSC Apex, the company’s award-winning next generation Computer Aided Engineering (CAE) platform.
The MSC Apex Diamond Python release introduces:
· The fourth release of MSC Apex Modeler is a CAE Specific direct modeling and meshing solution that streamlines CAD clean-up, simplification and meshing workflow. New in this release is Smart Midsurface technology which is a new workflow to expedite the creation of finite element models for thin structures composed of metals, plastics and composites.
· The second release of MSC Apex Structures is an add-on to MSC Apex Modeler which expands MSC Apex to a fully integrated and generative structural analysis solution.
MSC Apex was recently recognized as a “2015 R&D 100 Award Finalist.” The new release shortens the time to create and update Finite Element analysis models, enabling engineers to rapidly optimize strength and improve the performance of product designs within an easy to use, and easy to learn simulation environment.
The new Smart Midsurface technology in MSC Apex Modeler includes:
· Incremental midsurface workflow
· New semi-automatic, incremental workflow to create midsurface geometry and capable of expediting the process up to ten times. The incremental midsurface workflow involves the creation and pre-configuration of pairs that act as guides for subsequent midsurface extraction and creation.
· Midsurface extraction methods
· New midsurface extraction methods are available for a larger range of thin structures composed of injection molded plastics, metals and composite materials. Midsurfaces may now be extracted for variable thickness sections, whether they are tapered, curved, symmetric or asymmetric.
· Rapid development of simulation model definitions
· The process of meshing midsurface geometry and defining material and section properties was a key focus of this release. New features enable analysts to rapidly construct surface and solid element meshes, now supporting hex meshing and mesh seed point constraints.
· MSC Apex can also automatically map hundreds of 3D geometry thickness and offset onto shell element properties in seconds and has been documented to be up to twenty-four-times faster than manual methods. This capability has been expanded to support thin sections that are non-uniform and further expands the scope of designs that can be modeled.
· MSC Apex Structures offers users a fully integrated simulation environment for structural analysis.
· Regenerative analysis readiness has been enhanced so that analysis readiness checks are now done automatically as users work on their model. Any change in the mesh, the loads, boundary conditions or thickness properties will automatically regenerate analysis readiness results. This reduces trial and error and speeds up the “modeling to validation” process so that users can make faster decisions during virtual testing.