Toray is recommending its Toyolac transparent ABS resin for heat moisture exchangers (HMEs) used by mechanically ventilated patients.
HMEs reduce mucus production and coughing by humidifying and filtering the air breathed through a stoma. Tracheostomy humidification is vital to maintain thin secretions and prevent mucus plugs.
Many HME designs are available for differing respiratory requirements and the material used in molding HMEs is critical to their reliable operation for effective respiratory therapy. Toray believes its Toyolac polymer — newly available in the U.S. for medical applications — is a superior choice for molders of heat and moisture exchangers. Here’s why:
- Toyolac is a well-balanced resin and an FDA Drug Master File-registered material. It is USP Class 6-tested and meets ISO 10993 for biocompatibility. Specific tests include -4 for blood interactions, -5 for in vitro cytoxicity, -10 for irritation and skin sensitization and -11 for systemic cytotoxicity. (Toyolac does not contain bisphenol-A, an industrial chemical commonly used to make plastics which through exposure can cause health problems.)
- With robust resistance to lipids, alcohol and cleaning agents, Toyolac-produced HMEs provide long-lasting use. The material has structural strength and stiffness and is resistant to scratching. Most important, Toyolac’s stability enables long-term adoption because of Toray’s no-change “Production Methods”, no-change “Formulations” and no-change “Test Methods/Equipment” policies, which ensure long-term stability for manufacturers and regulatory requirements.
- Toyolac resin requires lower operating cylinder temperatures, ranging from 210°C to 260°C, and lower pressure compared with polycarbonate materials. These lower temperatures enable injection molders to achieve 270 mm in spiral-flow testing of Toyolac, compared with 100 mm for polycarbonate, as well as less tooling wear, decreased downtime and overall longer mold life.
- Toyolac’s smooth resin flow allows the molding of thin-walled part features.
- Toyolac is easy to machine, glue and print with excellent solvent adhesive properties to meet multiple component assembly requirements.
You can find more information about Toyolac ABS resin here.