Clarius Mobile Health has announced it is developing a low-cost handheld wireless ultrasound imaging tool that is much simpler to use and less costly than a conventional system. The device has the ability to produce high-resolution ultrasound images, which are transmitted to a person’s iOS or Android smart device.The Clarius C3 Wireless Handheld scanner is able to operate as both a convex array and a virtual phased array probe, enabling excellent imaging of the abdomen, heart and lungs. In addition to the multi-purpose Clarius C3, the company will offer the Clarius L7 linear scanner which was designed specifically to assist in guiding procedures. Clarius is ISO certified and has filed for regulatory clearance in various regions.
Both Clarius devices use a smartphone as a display and work with a mobile app that is compatible with most iOS and Android smart devices available today. With automated adjustments and an intuitive interface, the personal ultrasound devices are designed to be carried around for quick exams and to guide procedures such as nerve blocks and targeted injections.
The scanner is enclosed in a magnesium shell that can be immersed in liquids with no damage. It will also be rechargeable, lasting up to one hour of continuous scanning and over a week of stand-by power. Other hardware features include:
- The C3 model’s primary transducer has 192 ultrasonic elements
- During regular operation, the device communicates with a Smartphone via Point-to-Point WiFi
- The scanner is also equipped with Low-power Bluetooth for easy location of the device when it’s switched off
- Battery life: 45 min continuous scan time, 7 days standby
- The scanner’s rugged magnesium casing allows it to easily withstand 1m drop test
- Both the probe and battery are IPX7, and are fully submersible in liquid
Software features include:
- Image quality is internally benchmarked against high-end traditional cart-based systems.
- The device provides a high level of data security by using elliptical curve cryptography for all software transactions.
- The security software also insures that only authorized users can sign in to the app.
- The Smartphone app also keeps track of the last user for easy tracing of device.
For more information, visit http://www.clarius.me.