Teleflex Medical OEM, a global leader in fiber-based products, announces the availability of bioabsorbable sutures, yarns, and resins that can be custom-configured to meet the performance requirements for specific applications. The bioabsorbable product portfolio includes: Bondek® Plus and Monodek® sutures; multi-filament yarns constructed of PGA (polyglycolic acid), PLLA (poly-L-lactic acid), and PGLA (poly acid-co-poly-L-lactic acid); and resins of PGA and PLLA.
Teleflex Medical OEM is a full-service, product development partner for projects employing bioabsorbable materials. It can take a project from resin to yarn to component to suture by utilizing vertically-integrated, in-house capabilities, which include:
• Development of new co-polymer compositions based on absorption rate requirements
• In-house blending and compounding to achieve specifications for antimicrobial characteristics, lubricity, and radiopacity
• An extensive portfolio of materials, sizes, PIC counts, coatings, deniers, colors, and patterns used to develop new suture and yarn designs
As part of its bioabsorbable offering, Teleflex Medical OEM has two sutures which can be custom-engineered to achieve unique performance characteristics:
• Bondek® Plus Suture is a braided and coated PGA product with a high, initial tensile strength during the critical wound healing period; then it breaks down evenly and predictably. The suture is cleared by the FDA for use in general soft tissue approximation and/or ligation, including use in ophthalmic procedures, but not for use in cardiovascular or neurological procedures.
• Monodek® Suture is a monofilament, non-coated PDO (polydioxanone) product that retains its initial wound healing tensile strength with 70% at two weeks, 50% at four weeks, and 25% at six weeks. It is cleared by the FDA for use in all types of soft tissue approximation, including use in pediatric cardiovascular tissue where growth is expected to occur and in ophthalmic surgery.