Device prototyping and tests often need wire and hypotubing in short order. Providing a solution to this need, Tegra Medical presents its online store. Order for standard wire and hypotubing that are in store and inventory lengths can be shipped by 1 p.m. EST for next-day delivery.
The materials available include:
• Steel Wire
• Nitinol Wire
• Coated Wire
For custom work on wire and hypotubing, the company offers abrasive, electrochemical cutting, precision shear cutting, grit blasting, centerless grinding, end treatments, custom mandrels, coating and other finishing treatments, usually in a few days.
Custom services Hypotube and wire treatments offered include:
- Abrasive cutting: Standard cut-off method for three-day custom cut orders of 500 units or less. The ends are burred and sharp, and require additional end treatment operations such as deburring or end rounding.
- Electrochemical cutting: Electrochemical cutting uses low voltage, high current electrical energy to effortlessly cut through the wire and tubing. Electrochemical cutting uses a specially designed cutting wheel (cathode), electrolyte solution and electricity to precisely “cut” through wire and tubing (anode). By correctly adjusting the voltage, electrochemical cutting provides a burr-free cut on wire and hypotubing. Typical lead time is 5 working days.
- Precision shear cutting: Wire and hypotube shear cutting uses a pair of bushings to cut spooled material with ends square within 2°. This method produces a small burr of 0.001 to 0.002 in., which can be removed by adding an end treatment. Typical lead time is five working days.
- Centerless grinding: Precision grinding is available on all inventory or customer supplied materials. Standard diameter is ±0.0002 in.; however, tolerances as tight as ±0.00005 in. are possible. Typical lead time is three working days to two weeks, based on quantity and material availability.
- End treatments: End treatments range from a simple break edge to a full radius end. Typical lead time three working days.
- Finishing operations: Various custom finishing operations are available including passivation, ultrasonic cleaning, electropolishing, grit blasting, laser ablation, laser marking and more. Lead time varies depending on quantities and operations.
- Custom mandrels: Tegra offers fast turnaround on custom ground mandrels and will manufacture them to client specifications with features that can include steps, tapers and flats.
- Coating: The company offers several coatings with varying degrees of thickness. Tegra can custom-grind the base material to achieve the final coated diameter desired. Standard lead time is 4 weeks.