Hologic, Inc. recently announced the U.S. launch of its Omni hysteroscope, an innovative three-in-one modular scope with advanced visualization capabilities designed for both diagnostic and therapeutic hysteroscopic procedures. Physicians can use the new Omni hysteroscope in their offices, surgical centers, or operating rooms.
“Experts agree that direct visualization of the uterine cavity in women with abnormal uterine bleeding is the gold standard that allows physicians to accurately identify and collect quality samples and remove pathology – in a safer and more effective manner than blind biopsy and curettage,” says Edward Evantash, MD, medical director and vice president of global medical affairs at Hologic. “Featuring three easily interchangeable sheaths in one scope, our new Omni scope gives physicians excellent visualization capabilities with the convenience of seeing and treating pathology in a more streamlined procedure.”
The Omni scope, which received 510(k) clearance by the FDA this month, is designed to help physicians streamline the process of diagnosing and treating patients. Often times, a physician requires a diagnostic scope to look in the uterine cavity for fibroids or polyps, and then switches to an operative scope to biopsy or treat the pathology. With the new Omni scope, physicians can use the same scope with different sheath options to conveniently see and treat pathology.
Additional features include:
- Premium MyoSure optics for quality visualization and clarity throughout the procedure
- Sheaths designed with smaller diameters (3.7 mm diagnostic sheath; 5 mm operative sheath; 6 mm operative sheath) to reduce dilation required and promote patient comfort and easy insertion
- Long 200 mm working length facilitates easier access and treatment for obese patients
- Simple assembly and disassembly so sheaths can be changed out easily between procedures
- Operative sheaths can be used with Hologic’s Fluent™ hysteroscopic fluid management system
- Compatible with all MyoSure tissue removal offerings including MyoSure REACH, MyoSure XL, MyoSure LITE, and MyoSure MANUAL devices
“We continue to drive innovation designed with both the user and the patient in mind,” says Sean Daugherty, president of GYN Surgical Solutions, Hologic. “Our new Omni scope gives physicians a versatile and economical device to both diagnose and treat, and enhances the patient experience and comfort with a range of size options.”